History of the Architectural Woodwork Standards
The Architectural Woodwork Institute published the initial Quality Standards Illustrated in 1961. The revised and expanded 8th Edition, Version 2.0 of the Architectural Woodwork Quality Standards Illustrated was published jointly for the first time as a united North American Standard by AWI and the Architectural Woodwork Manufacturers Association of Canada (AWMAC). In 1995, AWI established its Quality Certification Program (QCP) to give the assurance and the expectation to millwork customers that fine woodwork, specified as QCP in construction documents, will comply with the quality grades in its standards.
In 1953, the Woodwork Institute (WI) published its first Manual of Millwork, followed in 1959 by the establishment of its Certified Compliance Program (CCP) to give assurance to millwork customers that the fine woodwork specified in their construction documents will comply with the quality grades in the manual.
On August 7, 2007 the three associations — AWI, AWMAC and WI signed an agreement to develop a single architectural woodwork standard.
The new Architectural Woodwork Standards become effective on October 1, 2009. At that point in time if contract documents state a project be specified in accordance with the Quality Standards Illustrated or the Manual of Millwork, then the AWS takes precedence.